Raison D'etre for this site

A compilation of hints and tips on how to handle living in a severe drought scenario. These hints and tips are willingly shared by the people of Cape Town, and are aimed at whoever is in need - now - or in future, in order to ease their stress when faced with water shedding / shortages due to a drought

HOW TO SEARCH

To find entries about specific subject please either use the search box or click on the appropriate label under the "Labels" section.

Tuesday 6 February 2018

Distilling grey water



So, I tried an experiment.

I took a 20cm wide salad bowl, filled it with water and purposely added some dirt to it and mixed it up well. In the centre of the filled bowl I placed an empty jar. Covering the bowl loosely and placing a rock in the centre, I set it in the sun - where it has remained - from 8.00 a.m. to 4.20 p.m.

I have just removed it from our patio.

That bowl of dirty water produced approximately 35-40ml of clear, clean water. That may seem a little, but given that I used a glass bowl in order to obtain these photographs I'm quite chuffed. I use a solar oven - utilizing black / dark coloured pans as they attract and hold the heat better than a clear vessel. If I had chosen to use a black saucepan for this experiment I'm convinced that I would've obtained far more. Also, a 20cm bowl is very narrow - imagine if the evapouration area was far greater...? ðŸ˜€


I tasted it and it was like drinking normal water ðŸ˜‚


Cleaning grey water for re-use is defintely do-able. Obviously this tiny bowl isn't going to make that much of a difference - it's all a matter of scale ðŸ˜‰


I would however, caution, that the harvesting jar is thoroughly cleaned and the harvested water should be brought to a rolling boil for 5 - 8 minutes before drinking. This is NOT to be used for black water!

No automatic alt text available.
The dirty water in the bowl can be seen in this pic

Image may contain: indoor
The setup as viewed from above.
No automatic alt text available.
The rock was placed in the centre of the clingwrap to encourage water droplets to fall into the jar and not back in the bowl

No automatic alt text available.
Moisture collecting on the clingwrap

Image may contain: plant
Droplets of water dripping into the jar - notice the moisture forming on the clingwrap
No automatic alt text available.
This simple setup produced +/- 35-40ml of clean water - produced from grey water

No comments: