Raison D'etre for this site

A compilation of hints and tips on how to handle living in a severe drought scenario. These hints and tips are willingly shared by the people of Cape Town, and are aimed at whoever is in need - now - or in future, in order to ease their stress when faced with water shedding / shortages due to a drought

HOW TO SEARCH

To find entries about specific subject please either use the search box or click on the appropriate label under the "Labels" section.

Tuesday 13 February 2018

Preventing water loss from tank # 1


I have just installed a float switch in my one tank and have positioned it so that when the water drops by 100mm, the pump will shut down. I have done this in case I have a burst pipe (had a flexible pipe burst recently but I was there so no water lost), or someone leaves a tap open. 100mm is 520 litres (10 days water). I have made it very easy to adjust, so every few days I will adjust the level... I will now sleep easier knowing that I now will not accidentally waste 10800 litres of water.


No automatic alt text available.

Pat McKune The chances of a pipe bursting is very remote, so a simple float switch will limit the loss to whatever on sets the float to.... I could reduce it, but if out and the system shuts down I will be in for a divorce ... so I can live with the unlikely loss of max +-500 litres....

No comments: